As part of the New Manager Quick Start, the NLA should be mandatory for every newly appointed leader in your organization because it is so powerful. You won’t regret doing it!
What is a New Leader Assimilation or NLA?
When a new leader starts, the team (s)he inherits is going through a change.
The NLA is a meeting with the new leader, an impartial facilitator (HR, OD or consultant), and team members.
Instead of team members having concerns or questions unanswered in their mind, this meeting gives them a chance to voice them, but in a safe setting, while getting to know the new leader and each other
The goal is to improve effectiveness and decrease cycle time for the new leader and team to “get up to speed” by getting acquainted with the new leader’s background, style and operating preferences
The new leader can gain insight into team members’ concerns about the organization and/or the leader
We’ll discuss how to prepare for it and what to cover during the session.
The Myers Brigs Type Indicator or MBTI can also be used with the NLA or as a separate team meeting, so we’ll briefly cover that and then go into more detail over the next several podcasts. Click here to order your MBTI report
Enter your name and e-mail below to get the FREE PowerPoint deck template to help you plan and kick off your NLA.
New Manager Quick Start Series:
9 Tools Your First 90 Days In A New Job
- Episode #21 – Create Your 30-60-90 Day Plan
- Episode #22 – Mentally transition into your new role
- Episode #23 – Create “My Style: A Guide To Working With Me”
- Episode #24 – Create a network list and begin listening conversations
- Episode #25 – Transition work from the prior incumbent
- Episode #26 – Conduct a New Leader Assimilation
- Episode #05 – Roll out your O3s (one-on-ones)
- Episode #37 – Create your Management Operating System (MOS)
- Episode #39 – Conduct Organizational Effectiveness Assessment Bonus: Begin to learn and apply the Top 5 Manager Must Do’s like giving Feedback (Episode #16) and Coaching (Episode #35)
Enter your name and e-mail to download all FREE tools now (access at http://www.TheDailyArtOfLeading.com website and not from iTunes):